mail pigeon library amusement park shopping cente
- The Hierarchy of Internet Metaphors [PDF]
- “Even as internet use has grown
exponentially, the hierarchy of metaphors
that describe it has remained constant: The internet
is most of all a mail pigeon, then a library, then an
amusement park, then a shopping center.”the Pew Internet & American Life Project
- Making sense of the Web: a metaphorical approach
- The nature of the World Wide Web is unfamiliar to most people. In order to make sense of this foreign environment people describe the unfamiliar in terms of the familiar. Metaphors are often used for this purpose. Since it is important to use the Web effectively it is important to acquire insight on user perceptions. Preliminary results of the Internet Metaphor Project are presented.
- Metaphor mania: The Internet is …
- The Internet is the information superhighway.
- The Internet is like a vast uncatalogued library. 10 Reasons Why the Internet Is No Substitute for a Library
- The Internet is a series of tubes.
- The Internet is like Joey Bishop.
“The Internet is like...”
** ** ** **
David J. Hark
P. O. Box 201 Shepherdstown, WV 25443-0201
Last updated: 30 July 2009
© 2009 David J. Hark